Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wednesday

I'm pretty pumped about a talk, make that three talks, I'm to give on Wednesday, May 26. I've been invited to St. Jude the Apostle School to chat with the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students about my Ociee series. The children will have seen the film, "The Adventures of Ociee Nash" by the time we meet, so there will likely be lots of cool questions about making the movie.
What I enjoy most about these conversations is always what the young people have to say to me. So this promises to be an interesting day. If not, I'll have to do most of the talking and that would be rather BORING.

That being said, hats off to teachers who can not only open young minds, but also keep control of their classrooms! I tend to stimulate my audiences a tad too much, which is the very reason I write books and not teach school. Hold positive thoughts for me next week. PLEASE.

What I really plan to accomplish is to encourage the girls and boys of St. Jude to read, read, read AND to write, write, write . . . not only during the summer but all the time as well. Shhhhh, don't tell them.

Confession: if I have one major regret from my younger days, it's that I lost my childhood diary (it was pink and had a lock and key). I never again got back into the fine habit of chronicling my thoughts. How I wish I could remember oh so much that's lost in my now well cobwebbed mind! Therefore, my mission is for these young students to avoid making that dreadful mistake by jotting down things in their own journals.

Enough of my sermon, I must now gather some thoughts for my very important audience next week. Milam

No comments:

Post a Comment