Monday, September 16, 2013

Hitting the Road!

I'm leaving the Man of My Dreams at home while I travel to North Carolina on Thursday. Nora King has invited me to speak to a couple of writers groups at the Murphy Public Library at 4 p.m. (September 19).
Nora is a super enthused person and way fun to visit. She's also arranged for us to show "The Adventures of Ociee Nash" at 6 p.m.
"Yes," she says, "there will be popcorn!"
I've not watched the film recently, so I'm pretty excited about my special day with Nora, her friends, and the folks in Murphy.

I've also lined up several local talks here in Atlanta, including a visit to Emory in November. I always like to speak near my grandmother Ociee's birthday. This one is two days prior on November 5. I'll be in Albertville, Alabama the following week. More about that later.

Back to the present----my next trip will be to Arkansas and Tennessee on September 28 where I'll be focusing on "Writer, Writer." My beloved friend Betty Ann Colley called several months ago to apologize.
"For what?" I asked.
BA has never had reason to apologize to me since the day we met in 1959 at Tennessee's Camp Marymount.
She replied, "I've never given you a book party."
"So? You live in Arkansas."
"Okay, so will you come to Arkansas?"
"'Sure!"

Thanks to her, the Fort Smith Library has planned a reception for Monday, September 30 at 1 p.m. I can hardly wait. The library people have circulated a lovely poster around town publicizing my upcoming talk. BA has invited lots of her friends, while her mother-in-law, Cathy Colley, who turns 90 the week before, is bringing along several guests and her writer's group. Yes, her writer's group!

About the poster, were I clever enough, it would be displayed on this blog. Sadly, I'm NOT. Please know it's green and gorgeous, and features several book covers along with a picture of Jamey and me.
Alas, I will be leaving him behind once again. Someone has to keep the home fires burning---and walk Bella the dog.

Two days later, BA and I will travel to Bartlett, Tennessee, where her daughter, Emily Ford is hosting another party. My cousin Kay and two Memphis friends, Jane and Betty are also coming. I'm so pumped up, I've even bought something new to wear.

I do enjoy writing, always have, but traveling about and telling stories surely is FUN.
Must get packed up now.
Milam


No comments:

Post a Comment